US Forces Rescue Backlash: Minister of Defence Says United States Sought Nigeria’s Permission

4838 0

Igboeli Arinze, FCT – Following the backlash that accompanied the rescue of an American citizen by US Special Forces, the Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Magashi (rtd.), has said that the United States sought the nation’s permission and thus had not violated the country’s sovereignty.

He disclosed this stating that the  Nigerian government gave the US the operational permission to carry out the rescue  operation.

 

Readers will recall that last week Saturday,  a detachment of the United States Special Military Force had successfully rescued an American citizen kidnapped by bandits in the northern part of Nigeria.

The Minister said that since Nigeria was a “friendly country” it gave it’s permission almost as soon as it was contacted by the government, disputing the charge that the US had violated Nigeria’s territorial sovereignty.

 

Related Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *